So you have heard of Airbnb, or maybe even used it yourself, and your considering becoming a host? It would be great using that spare room for something other than storing your junk right? Well here’s some tips on what to expect from being a Airbnb host.
So why become an Airbnb host?
The reasons for becoming an Airbnb host might be:
- Earn some extra money £££££
- Meet new people
- An alternative to renting out a bedroom on a more permanent basis
If you want to get an idea of the amount of money you could make becoming an Airbnb host then you can use this tool provided on the website – https://www.airbnb.co.uk/host
My results for Newham East London came out about 30% under what I actually average for a month. I guess some hosts are happy to keep an empty room for more days of the month than I am.
Can you actually host?
You may have legal issues with becoming a host.
- If you’re not the owner of the property you may have to ask the landlord for permission first. If you’re renting through an agent then there will almost certainly be restrictions on sub letting in your lease.
- You may need to seek permission from you mortgagor.
- Your home insurance may be invalid or inadequate.
- If you own a leasehold property then your lease may include provisions on short term lets.